Sunday, May 3, 2009

Tom McCarthy - General Quarters

Watching the Kentucky Derby on tv is the only horse racing my family and I really pay attention to. This year was an exciting adventure, but my favorite part was told way before the race. There is a man by the name of Tom McCarthy who had a horse racing this past weekend... horses name is General Quarters. Now Tom somehow managed to buy this horse for $20,000 and train the horse himself. He obviously did a good job, they're racing in THE Kentucky Derby. Anyways..... before the race all of the owners and trainers walk with their horses over to the gate and while this was happening a news crew was interviewing Tom. Due to his lack of money, experience and fame in the horse racing world they asked "Have you ever imagined yourself walking your horse in the Kentucky Derby?" Duh..... I love Tom's answer, "I've been dreaming about it for 50 years!"



I love his attitude. It took 50 years for his dream to come true, but it did! He may not have won the race that day, but he stuck to his dream when MOST people would have given up decades ago. Plus he was not intimidated by horses that were bought for millions or training who have "super bowl" rings from derbies prior. For my sons.... never give up on your dreams, the big ones or the little ones. God put those dreams in you for them to be accomplished. On a daily basis my dreams for Braylon come true as well as my family. Thank you for those dreams Lord!



Tom McCarthy's story

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2009/04/28/2009-04-28_feelgood_story_of_tom_mccarthys_horse_general_quarters_rides_into_kentucky_derby.html

No comments:

Post a Comment