Friday, July 3, 2009

With a smile and a point.

This past weekend my husband and I traveled to a wedding .... a chance to celebrate a union and an opportunity for some "us" time. The event was beautiful and although we weren't actual family members of the bride or groom, everyone made us feel at home. Over our four day vacation we met some wonderful individuals who made us laugh, feel loved and inspired us to do more as a family. One young man by the name of Justin really impressed my husband and I. His spirit that followed him was one of joy and appreciation and I have a feeling it was taught to him by the same family that showed us so much joy.
Justin is a 26 year old man living with cerebral palsy. As I'm writing this, I'm thinking "living" isn't the right word.... he is thriving! I sat back and watched Justin laugh at someones jokes, dance down the soul train line and announce the bride with bells tied around his wrists. For the exact same reason I was at the wedding, he was to and I'm sure he enjoyed it just as much as me. Speaking with his mother, I wondered what happened to Justin. Was it a stroke like Braylon? Similar... he had a series of seizures at birth causing the cerebral palsy. Although Justin can not speak, he absolutely understands everything and in some cases may have a better understanding of the world than most. I learned thru our conversation that as a young boy Justin played football, using his 3-point stand to tackle and block at the line. Now, at the age of 26, Justin has his driver's permit. He is so excited, but I'm posititve his mother is suffering the same anxiety I will when the time comes for my boys to drive.
For an hour and a half we talked about our very special boys and the way we help mold them. It was inspiring and uplifting. My heart was encouraged and my mind set at ease knowing that my son too can accomplish his goals. The very best part of that whole conversation was when Justin looked at me with a smile on his face and pointed to his head, as if to say "I can do anything I set my mind to." A simple gesture that I took with me, not only for my son Braylon, but for myself as well.... I can do anything I set my mind to.

No comments:

Post a Comment