Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Opportunity

Oh VBS!!! Really, thank God for VBS!! If you can't tell my older boys went to VBS last week and as much as they enjoyed it, I think I enjoyed it twice as much....and yes for my own personal peace. Since VBS was in the evening I was able to shop, clean and even surprise my husband a little.
After a long day with six kids at the house, I was getting the boys ready to go to VBS and with 5 minutes left before we had to leave, I decided to surprise the hubby by going to the office. See one day a week my husband has an opportunity meeting and I miss it usually because it is so hard to take 3 kids to the office AND keep them QUIET. So with 5 minutes to get dressed, I threw on whatever did not need ironed and an extra squirt of perfume. It was time for Braylon and I to go support daddy and the business.
As expected my husband was very pleased to see us there. Braylon was ecstatic to be in the midst of all of the people... I swear he was showing off! So as the meeting began B did a wonderful job at being quiet, eating snacks. But as the meeting progressed he began to get "ants in his pants". Every time the room burst into applaud, B clapped to. Only B can only clap with one hand, slapping his right hand against his belly is B's way of clapping. And every time someone in the crowd would amen or cosign, Braylon would bounce up and down in his stroller. He was truly enjoying being in the environment of happy people cheering for one another. Who knows maybe B will be the best team player ever one day! Time came for my husband to present and as he walked up front B clapped along with everyone else. What caught me by surprise wasn't the ease my husband had speaking, it wasn't the amount everyone laughed at his jokes. It WAS that at every opportunity of silence, Braylon yelled "DADA, DADA!".... his first words. Joy filled my heart as I heard those words, even though they weren't "mama". Speaking can be very difficult for stroke victims, but I know for B it will be something else to brag about.
Braylon and I went to the office that evening to share in a business opportunity meeting, never expecting it to be Braylon's opportunity to tell his daddy he loves him and is proud of him in the simple, but endearing words of "DADA". What I learned... when an opportunity presents itself, take advantage even if that opportunity wasn't meant for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment