Monday, April 6, 2009

Why a blog?

"This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words." 1 Corinthians 2:13

On January 27, 2009 My husband and I found out that our 9 month old son, Braylon, had a stoke. We had been knowing for a month or so that there was a problem, but the severity took us off guard. As the doctor went over Braylon's MRI report, explaining what occured to each area of his brain, I was shocked. Although I already new B was delayed, I never expected the picture that was sitting in front of me. Almost his entire right side of his brain had been damaged, some parts were even dead. As tears filled my eyes, I glanced down at my baby "B". He was banging a toy with his right hand. He looked up at me and smiled and I knew God was good.

Being a mother can be rewarding and tiring all at the same time in any situation. But I knew this situation... Braylon's situation was going to push me to limits I never thought I would experience. Since January life has been a constant race, because not only am I trying to get the best medical care for Braylon, but I am trying to continue to be a loving wife and caring mother to my other two wonderful boys.

Expressing myself through words on a paper is what I have always enjoyed. As for the others in my family, they'd rather talk it out. For now it is my words, thoughts and feelings that you will read. I pray God gives me words to encourage my family and friends. This has affected my family as group and as individuals. We have already grown in our faith. Since that day God has proven himself over and over again.... not that He needs too. Two months ago Braylon could do NOTHING by himself, now he's sitting on his own, rolling all over the place and playing independently on the floor. I am so proud of him and what he teaches me. Just because you can't do something today, doesn't mean it can't be accomplished tomorrow! I thank God for B's relentless spirit.

I leave you with this.... when the neurologist was explaining the reason why Braylon had his stroke, he used the words " a stroke of bad luck". But I disagree. God trusts my family enough to use our weakness to show off God's strength. To me that is a "Stroke of Luck".



6 comments:

  1. Deon,

    Your words are beautifully written. I have been wondering how you guys are doing. Your testimony of God's faithfulness is awesome. I love you girl. Think you guys often!!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter,

    Once again you have brought me to tears. You have always been able to speak through your writings. God has blessed me with you and the family He has chosen for you. My prayers, love and open arms will always be there for you and your family.

    Mom (xxoxoxo)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have truly been given a test of motherhood, faith, and patience. You have and will continue to pass with flying colors! Your son Braylon has been blessed with you and Jamael as parents for a reason-you are who he needs. You are an amazing strong, Christian woman. Your entire family is constantly in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, where did you learn to write like that!? Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never cease to amaze me Deon. You and your family are the most wonderful people my family and I have been blessed to meet. I love you guys as if you are a part of my family and have been forever. I look forward to reading your blog and hearing the encouraging words that God puts in your heart. I admire you and I applaud you. I tip my hat to you, for you are a phenomenal woman. And know that through Christ all things are possible and with His stripes we are HEALED!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deon,
    You have no idea how many hearts you are touching with your eloquent and beautiful words. Your faith is so strong and your attitude is so positive! No wonder your mom is so proud of you. Keep the faith, Deon. My prayers are with you, Jamael and the boys.

    ReplyDelete