Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Still I Rise

This weekend our family celebrated Braylon's 1st birthday. We also celebrated Easter and Jesus rising from the dead. When we hear the word rise or risen in terms of people, we may think of Jesus Christ, Maya Angelou, or maybe even Tupac. I have one more to add to my list.... Braylon.
My mom flew in town to see all three of her grandkids and I'm sure she was so excited. It's been 3 1/2 months since we seen her last. Although Braylon has improved tremendously in that time, his disability becomes more obvious the older he gets; the more independent he's suppose to be. The first day Ga-Ga, my mom, was here she was impressed by B pulling himself up into a standing position. YAY! But what she didn't realize was that because of the stroke and hemiparesis, Braylon can't balance very good and he fell over. Now as soon as he fell, he started crying and my mom's guilt filled the air. I wasn't worried, but I understand wanting to be over protective. Failing at something over and over again is part of the learning process. That's why Sunday at church the exact same thing happened again. B pulled himself to the standing position and he fell. The nursery called me with worries, but like my mom, I assured them everything would be okay.
Words of encouragement and a hand to hold on to is all I can offer B as he tries to push his limits. My God is helping as well, but Braylon is going to have to take the first step. And step over and over again. We all can identify with B falling... or failing. We have failed at things at least a couple times in our lives. We've been disappointed and saddened when we couldn't complete the task or at least couldn't stay at the level of achievement we had hoped for. But are we like Braylon?? Do we say to ourselves let me try again?? It's difficult to continue get up after falling every time you try something, but persevere in all you do. Say to yourself.... "Still I Rise".

No comments:

Post a Comment