Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Putting in Work

We have a new therapist who comes to the house... the occupational therapist!!! I have been more excited for her to come than any other. Why, you ask.... Well, Braylon's left arm and hand have suffered more than any other part of him (except the loss of periphial vision). I have been wanting to see what the o/t will do so that B can start becoming more aware of his arm and then start using it. Man, does she work him out!!!!
B is excited when she first comes and begins playing with him, but very quickly he becomes frustrated and/or irratated by the exercises. For example, yesterday the o/t brought a ball that Braylon can crawl on top of (smaller yoga ball). He loved it and used his right hand to bang on the ball so he can feel the vibrations. Then the o/t stretched the ball out, which made his left arm stretch out almost straight... oh boy did he HATE that!! Sometimes I try to imagine myself in Braylon's shoes and wonder how he's feeling, but it never works. I stretch my arm straight all the time... even when I'm not trying to (i.e. walking). And for him to have so much pain while forcing his arm to be straight, I'll never know what that is like.
If eyes could talk, B's were saying "Save me, MOMMY!!!!" He was just wiggling away from her, whining about all of the exercises and was completely exhausted by the time it was over. The therapist probably was too! As much as I wanted to pick Braylon up and hold him for just a few moments to give him a break, I new I couldn't. So I got off the floor and walked to the other side of the room to watch. The only words of encouragement that I could muster up were, "The best things in life require the most work, B." I know he's a baby and barely understands "Good Job" let alone my comment, but I didn't just say it for him. Yes, it fits the situation for B... him struggling to stretch his arm or open his hand so that one day he can use it. But I wasn't just talking to him. When I said the best things in life require the most work, I was talking to myself and the two therapist in the room. For me, a few things have become quite difficult, but I must continue to work... even when I'm wanting someone to come save me. Taking on B's stroke has been a battle in many ways. We recognize that not everything is properly functioning. Now we are putting in the work, no matter how hard, so that we can be our best. And we are all thankful to God for believing that we are up to the challenge.

To my favorite family in the world..... My prayers are with you. You have become aware of the problem and are willing to put in the work. There will be days you are screaming for someone to save you, and some days you will feel triumphant. It is your story you are writing. When you are wanting to quit sit back and see God in your situation... recognize His strength and tenderness in each moment. You will get your second wind. You will be blessed. You just have to work harder than ever before. I love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment